Lead Exposure in Young Children
February 8, 2016
Parents who are worried about lead poisoning may contact their child’s medical provider to request evaluation for lead exposure with a blood test. Infants and toddlers in Connecticut are screened for lead exposure and parents of children with a blood lead level of 10 micrograms per deciliter (mcg/dL) or greater receive information about:
- identifying and eliminating sources of lead
- dietary approaches to reducing lead in their children’s bodies
- typical developmental milestones, so they may identify a delay as soon as possible
- how to refer their child for a Birth to Three developmental evaluation
You can’t see, smell, or taste lead in water. Lead in paint or toys may taste sweet. Lead can cause permanent damage to the brain and other organs, and is most dangerous for kids, whose small bodies are still developing, reports the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A child who has been lead exposed, even at low levels, may have problems with attention, learning, and controlling impulses.
Children with a confirmed blood lead level of 25 mcg/dL or greater are automatically eligible for early intervention in Connecticut. Children with lower levels of lead exposure may be eligible due to significant developmental delay when measured by a Birth to Three evaluation team.
For more information, visit the Dept. of Public Health Lead Poisoning and Prevention Program webpage.